Shelley is a native Texan who has spent most of her career working in Europe and the Middle East – first for ExxonMobil and then as the owner of the risk management consulting firm, SAS Resources, whose clients included firms such as E.ON Powergen and Siemens.
Upon her return to the US in 2009, Shelley joined the energy firm BP as a member of the risk management team and experienced the challenges of the Deepwater Horizon incident. Fueled by a desire to help the company develop leaders that would lead the organization to a brighter future, in 2012 she became Global Capability Manager for Leadership Development and was responsible for designing and delivering programs such as Courageous Conversations, aimed at creating a culture of open discussion. During her time as Capability Manager, she was also responsible for building the Universal Graduate Skills program at BP, a new entity-wide program aimed at positioning BP as an employer of choice for college graduates.
Passionate about development, Shelley left BP in 2015 to start her own training firm, True North Development, whose purpose is to help organizations improve leadership skills and employee engagement through the power of mindfulness. She is a recognized expert on mindfulness in the workplace and has collaborated with the University of Texas at Austin and NYU to develop mindfulness programming for business leaders. She is also the author of Running on Empty: The Irreverent Guru’s Guide to Filling up with Mindfulness. In her spare time, she teaches hatha yoga and currently lives and works in beautiful Austin, Texas.
- Bachelors and Masters in Accountancy from the University of Texas at Austin
- Master of Business Administration from Erasmus Rotterdam School of Management in the Netherlands
- Associate Certified Coach (ACC) by the International Coaching Federation
- Faculty member for the University of Texas Center for Professional Education
- Faculty member for NYU Professional Pathways
- Global Faculty Member for TMA World
- Global Faculty Member for Hemsley Fraser
- Licensed Hatha Yoga Instructor
- Graduate of Institute for Professional Excellence in Coaching program (IPEC)
- Energy Leadership Assessment Index (ELI) Master practitioner
- Strengths Deployment Inventory (SDI) certified